This week has been crazy and hectic. Between camping and balancing classes and work, there has been little time for much else. On days like these it is hard not to just reach out to unhealthy and fast meals. So, for those of you who can spare a half hour to cook dinner, this recipe is for you. The recipe is simple: gingery meat and a cucumber salad wrapped up in pita bread. The ginger and sweet plum sauce combine nicely with the tangy and spicy cucumbers. You can use either normal pitas or smaller ones. I tend to lean toward the latter in this recipe as it makes them more like asian tacos rather than sandwiches. I also like to top each with a little sriracha- just trust me. Adapted from RealSimple magazine.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- kosher salt
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 green jalepeño
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey or pork
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. freshly grates ginger
- 4 pitas, halved or 12 small pitas
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cucumbers and jalapeño and let sit, tossing occasionally, for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Throw in the onion until golden. Mix in the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Mix in the ginger and meat, breaking up with a spoon until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons water.
- Fill the pita halves with the pork and the cucumber salad.