- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature (I recommend placing the egg in a bowl of warm water until it reaches room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Recipes
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (cannot be omitted)
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, plus more for sprinkle on top before baking
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter for about 1 minute on medium speed. Get it nice and smooth, then add the sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light in color.
- Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 different parts. The dough is quite thick and you may have to stir the rest by hand. Once combined, fold in 1/2 cup sprinkles.
- Scoop a large sections of dough (about 2 Tablespoons of dough each) and roll into balls. Make sure the balls are taller, rather than wide. Add a few more sprinkles on top of each ball dough.
- Chill the balls of dough on the cookie sheet for at least 2 hours and up to 48 hours in the refrigerator*. This step will prevent spreading in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake chilled cookie dough for 8 minutes, no more. The cookies will appear undone and very soft.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes and move to wire rack to cool completely.
*This step must be done in order for your cookies to turn out the way we want them